Monday, May 7, 2012

the quote

If you came upon a person who was drowning, would you ask if he needs help, or would it be better to just jump in and save him from the deepening waters? The offer whilst well-meaning and often given: "Let me know if I can help?" is really no help at all.
(Ronald A. Rasband)

I remember reading this quote on Pinterest (yikes, I know) a few weeks ago, and its powerful message struck a loud chord with me.

I think I am this person.

"Can I bring you some brownies?"

"Do you need me to watch your kiddos?"

"What can I do to help?"

I remember once when my mother told me that I have great intentions, but that I need much more than that.  I think she quoted that, "Intentions pave the way to hell."  Ooh, what a dreary way to say what I needed to hear at the time!  And, as usual, those words of wisdom from a parent long ago did not really stick until just now.  Oh, why don't we always listen to our parents when we are young?

Anyway, I know that this has to stop.  Less offering, and more doing.  This will be a part of my little transformation.  And so, I offered and followed through with an intention this weekend.  And it felt so great!

Dane and I spent the night searching for bad guys in a video game (seriously, none could be found anywhere), protecting the youngest kids during the massive pillow fight, and monitoring Enzo as two little girls just gushed over him.  The four children were each incredibly full of energy (which we definitely weren't used to), but we had the time of our lives.  The Saturday night we spent babysitting was unforgettable!  For me, it was just as fun as a night on the town!

And what was even better:  as I drove home I just felt incredibly grateful...

Grateful I could serve.

Grateful for a fabulous husband and handsome little baby man.

Grateful that it felt so good to not be thinking so much about myself.

And I felt a little change deep inside, and I knew that this year was going to be one of the best years ever. I knew that I was bound for some great changes.  So, cheers to more doing and a bit less lip service.

And that is what this year is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment