Monday, July 23, 2012

My Legacy

Tonight my little family did our weekly trek to one of Pocatello's shopping meccas--Costco. (I swear, we just can't seem to stay away from that place!) And of course, we had to treat ourselves with a little frozen yogurt because who can turn down enough cold goodness to feed your family for $3.01? NO ONE.

Plus, it was family night, so the ice cream was all a part of that. Dane jokes that I label anything we do on Monday night our "family activity." I will admit that I just might do that. Is that really bad? Don't answer.

On the way home I decided to have a little part-ay in the back seat with our munchkin. It started with me feeding the little man and followed quickly with him taking right over. He is definitely a first-born, independent man. No big deal though--this would just call for an instant bath when we made it home. 

When in the back seat, a little Eric Clapton and Babyface came on the radio. We turned up the music a bit, and I sang out to the little guy. Cheesy, I know! When the song ended, I told Dane that I had definitely been thinking about how I could make my own little stamp on the world. (Maybe I have been watching too much "Secret Millionaire" lately.) After brainstorming for days about starting a non-profit and donating more of my time, I had finally realized that Enzo is my mark.

He is my legacy!

He is the way I can change the world!

Someday I will trust that chocolate-covered little person with my name!  (Please tell me that won't come too soon!)


I have made so many mistakes and frequently think about what I would have done differently. I suffer from a case of chronic disappointment, and because of that, I often overextend myself while trying not to miss out on a golden opportunity. I feel a sense of urgency to "make up" for lost time. Instead of investing all of this energy into other things, Enzo is the best avenue for this drive and love and time. Dane just might have laughed a bit about my timing with the "Change the World" song tonight, but I don't think I will soon forget that sweet little car ride, singing my own soft-spoken message to my ice-cream covered son.

No comments:

Post a Comment